Sound Quality : FM Broadcast
Length : 37.38
01. Scream Thy Last Scream
02. Astronomy Domine
03. Interstellar Overdrive
04. Let There Be More Light
05. Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun
A rather rough recording. The vocals are all but inaudible on the first few tracks although the instruments come thru well. The last two tracks have better vocals with StCFtHotS being the best on the disc. The last two tracks also have a lot of vinyl pops and clicks, but this is understandable considering the age of the recording. The audience is, as usual, very well behaved and there are no extraneous annoy- ing conversations during the songs. The times shown above are from my disc player and match the back cover exactly, except for STLS which is listed at 5'37". Overall, while not the best recording, it is still an important part of the history of PF and will probably be of interest to the more serious completists seeing as how so few recordings from the Syd days exist at all. -GOLGO
After all that has been said about the International Pop Festival in Rome, the date and location for the Floyd's performance seem clear: 6 May 1968, Palazzo Dello Sport.
Last month I got Andre's GREAT tapetree "Music When You Are Sleeping", with AD and STCFTHOTS.
I've got a tape copy of "Fountains Of Roma" RoIO CD (Black Panther), and on the CD cover, they mention "PIPER CLUB 06/05/68". So, yesterday, I decided to listen to my "Fountains Of Roma" tape, to compare with Andre's tape "Music When You Are Sleeping".
Here's what I found about the 5 "Fountains Of Roma" tracks:
- "Astronomy Domine" and STCFTHOTS are definitely different from the versions on the tapetree. So, these 2 tracks DON'T come from May 6, 1968.
- "Scream Thy Last Scream", "Astronomy Domine" and LTBML are about the same sound quality (mono, G). So maybe these 3 tracks come from a single concert. It seems that it was a rather small venue (listening to the applauses).
- IO and STCFTHOTS are better quality (mono, Ex) and seem to have been recorded in a larger concert hall. Again, maybe these 2 tracks come from a single concert.
- STCFTHOTS is similar to the "mysterious" version on "Around The Mystic" RoIO CD. The source is the same, but the version on "Around The Mystic" seems to have some stereo separation. -MARC-OLIVIER
Here are the sources of the tracks:
1.) Scream thy Last Scream
2.) Astronomy Domine These 2 tracks are from 13sep67 Star Club, Copenhagen, Denmark. Also on "StarClub Phyco" CD
3.) Interstellar Overdrive As recently discussed, this is probably from a BBC TV broadcast of 06may68 First International European Pop Festival, Palazzo Dello Sport, Rome, Italy.
4.) Let There Be More Light This is from 23may68 (early show) Paradiso, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Also on "The Live Pink Floyd" CD)
5.) Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun I don't know what gig this is from. It is structurally most like the 1972 performances but I can't pin it down.
This is a classic roio bastardization of several performances. Yet another reason not to spend good money on CD roios. -JOHN